Perelozai. Perelozai The Church of the Holy Cross in Perelozai
Perelozai – village in Jonava region, Upninkai ward, next to Lietava River.
Here in XVIII-XIX centuries a big orthodox community was established. In XVIII – parish was established. In the beginning of the XX century – there were 500 believers, in 1937 – 793, in 1949 – 850.
In 1984, the parish stopped functioning. It is thought that in 1827 – Perelozai church has a communal house. Village belonged to Vilnius district. In 1886, a church school was opened. Later, a primary school was functioning here up until 1971.
In 1795 there were 84 people living in Perelozai village. 1903 – 212, 1923 – 225.
Currently there are no residents in this village, but the church remains. In 1905, a wooden church of the Perelozai Lords Cross was built on a stone foundation. It is one of the most beautiful houses of prayer not only in Jonava region, but also in the whole of Lithuania – the church stands out in the ancient Russian style. It is characterized by exclusive interior and exterior decoration. Although the village is no longer inhabited, the church is revived thanks to the members of the Perelozai community who previously lived here. Renovated house of prayer. Well-groomed environment. Services are held periodically in the church.
- GPS LAT 55.033243
- GPS LNG 24.511158