The cemetery, located on the northwestern side of the town of Panoteriai, started operating in 1892, when the first deceased was buried in it – Koncevicius, an eighteen-year-old resident of Stasiunai village, who died of tuberculosis (hectic).
Currently, there are old and new cemeteries in the town. The people who do not have graves nearby are buried in new cemeteries. The old cemetery is surrounded by a stone fence and a brick-metal gate around 1900. P. Vaiciunas’ mother, his brother Ignas, Taukadaziai manor lady A. Radzivoniene, the Lithuanian military pilot, teacher K. Juska rest in the old cemetery.
The teachers of our school are buried here: V. Brimeriene, who collected and accumulated the history of the country, M. Samuoliene, who used to be an active nurturer of the culture of our country, J. Geciauskiene, who taught us to love the surrounding world and to look for the good in people. There is an internal rest site for the people of our country, who were raising, teaching and educating children; there are buried the partisans, craftsmen and peasants of our country, weavers and tailors of Panoteriai region, carpenters and people whose memory is up to this day in their relatives’ hearts.
The inscriptions on the monuments testify that there are people of the Polish and Lithuanian nationality buried in this cemetery. The decoration of cemetery fences, tombstones, crosses and sculptures help us to understand the small architecture of the country predominant at the end of the 19th century and in the 20th century.
- GPS LAT 55.201019
- GPS LNG 24.427053